Field sessions give students an opportunity to put the skills they learned in the classroom to use in actual hands-on scenarios while being coached and mentored by leaders in the industry.
The lessons learned in the field are an essential piece to a student’s over-all avalanche training.
The America Avalanche Institute will be the course provider for the NAS affiliated field sessions.
Dates & Locations:
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, WY - Monday, January 9, 2023
- Schweitzer Mountain Resort, ID - Monday, January 30, 2023
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area, CO - Sunday, February 26, 2023
$999.00 per attendee
to visit the AAI website for additional information and to register for a particular field session.
- Students are trained and evaluated on the following skills:
- Demonstrate small party avalanche rescue response
- Take and interpret weather station observations
- Utilize morning and evening stability worksheets
- Communicate the avalanche risk to team members
- Assess and analyze avalanche terrain
- Manage a small group in terrain appropriate for the avalanche problem
- Select appropriate snowpit sites
- Systematically execute a snowpit, including weak layer identification and stability tests
- Develop solid observational and documentation skills of snow, weather and avalanche's.